16 victims of mob attack sued under Anti-Terrorism Act

Police have filed a case under the draconian Anti-Terrorism Act against 16 people, who came under attack by a Jamaat-NCP mob on Thursday morning for holding a discussion of the Moncho-71 platform on the Constitution and the 1971 Liberation War at DRU.

The accused include journalist Monjurul Alam Panna, former Awami League leader Abdul Latif Siddique, Dhaka University teacher Prof. Sheikh Hafizur Rahman Curzon, and 13 others.

After the attack, which left 18 injured, police appeared on the scene and detained the guests and organisers of the event.

Around 11pm, Shahbagh police filed the case.

A freedom fighter is injured in the attack

ZI Khan Panna, freedom fighter, senior Supreme Court lawyer and one of the founders of the Moncho-71 platform, condemned the attack and blamed the Yunus regime. He also asked everyone to unite against the anti-liberation forces.

ZI Khan Panna: Itโ€™s high time we unite against anti-liberation forces

NCP, Jamaat-Shibir foil Moncho-71 event on Constitution, Liberation War

โ€œWe are not willing to compromise with the 1971 independence, the 1972 constitution, the national flag, and the national anthem. Freedom fighters unite, now is the last time to unite,โ€ the valiant freedom fighter said in a Facebook live, calling on the freedom fighters to unite on the issues of the Liberation War, the 1972 Constitution, the national anthem and the national flag.

Earlier in the morning, at least 18 guests, including Dhaka University teachers and journalists, were injured in a mob attack by Jamaat-NCP members. Later, they handed 16 people over to the police.

Jamaat-Shibir members foil a discussion on the Constitution on Thursday

Gono Forum Emeritus President Dr Kamal Hossain was slated to attend as the chief guest. But he did not show up.

Dhaka University Law Departmentโ€™s Professor Sheikh Hafizur Rahman spoke first. He said: โ€œWe are seeing attempts to throw away the countryโ€™s constitution. Behind this are Jamaat-Shibir and the National Citizen Party (NCP).โ€

Right after his speech, a group of people entered the DRU auditorium in a procession, chanting slogans such as โ€œLet the spirit of July rise againโ€, โ€œCatch the League, fill the jailsโ€, and โ€œJuly fighters, unite and fight.โ€

The agitators called themselves the July Warriors and chanted slogans against Siddique during the captivity. They also tore the banner of the discussion and assaulted other guests and attendees.

Attackers identified

The Crack Platoon-Bangladesh Cyberforce Team has identified the mastermind of the attack as Jamaat-e-Islamโ€™s Paltan Unit Ameer Shahin Ahmed Khan. It has also collected all kinds of financial and communication information, including family information, data obtained from digital devices and recent bKash transactions of some of the participants in this incident!

Under the leadership of Shahin Ahmed, others who participated in the attack were Sakibul Hasan Chowdhury (father Abdul Shahid Chowdhury, mother Sitara Begum) of Kulaura, Moulvibazar; Imam Uddin Baba (father Jamal Uddin) of Feni; Fahad Sarkar (father Md. Amdadul Sarkar) of Cumilla; and Md. Aminul Islam (father Azadul Islam, mother Husne Ara Begum) of Cumilla.

One thought on “16 victims of mob attack sued under Anti-Terrorism Act

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

en_USEnglish